Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A Fruit Treat for Halloween

A few years ago for my daughter's preschool Halloween party I signed up to bring a snack, but was not sure what I was going to bring. I was planning to use my Halloween shaped pans, but had not picked something to put in them yet. Well, everyone else had picked something and no one was bringing fruit, so I was asked to bring fruit.
I found these "Snack O'Lantern" oranges on Family Fun. I made a few modifications to the "recipe". I sliced a small sliver off of the bottom in order to make the cup stand up straight. I only filled the cup with the orange I removed from it. I may mix with other fresh fruit, but we don't care for canned fruit. I also skipped the green spoons.

When I carved the orange with a knife I had a hard time getting detail done. When I made them for my next event, I used pumpkin carving tools to carve the faces instead of a knife. It was much easier. I also filled them with grapes and oranges instead of just the chopped up oranges.

While they turned out adorably, they took quite a while to carve 20 small faces. I recommend this snack for a small group - 5-10 kids.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...