Friday, November 29, 2013

Book Review: Origami Yoda Series - Act now for a Great Deal

As I have shared many times before, my daughter loves both Star Wars and reading. She is always reading Star Wars encyclopedias, visual dictionaries, and more. In addition, we have 20 minutes a day of reading where she has to read a chapter book. After seeing far too many Star Wars easy reader level 2 books come home from the school library, I knew I needed to find Star Wars books that were closer to my daughter's reading level (she was reading Level 2 readers 3 years ago).
Disclaimer: I am an Amazon Associate and am compensated for sales through Amazon links. I appreciate your support of my blog by shopping through my links.
I have seen The Origami Yoda series at the store and in August decided to purchase the first book in the series, The Strange Case of Origami Yoda, for her to try. It took a few weeks for her to finish the American Girl series that she was reading at the time and to convince her to give the book a try.


Once she started the book, she was hooked. While she was reading the book, we had a busy day and she missed a day of reading. The next day she asked if she could read for 40 minutes to make up for the missed day. I told her she is always welcome to read for longer. She read for 35 minutes that day, stopping only when she finished the book. She loved the book and was asking for Darth Paper Strikes Back: An Origami Yoda Book, the second book in the series. I requested the book from the library. Unfortunately when we went to pick up the book, I discovered that I had accidentally requested the audio book instead of the book. The book already had three requests on it and the library had ordered more - it is obviously a very popular series. Instead, we found Star Wars: Secrets of the Jedi to checkout until we could get the rest of the Origami Yoda series.

That night, we got home and my daughter was re-reading parts of Origami Yoda. She rarely does this with chapter books, so I knew the series was a winner. I decided that if she was going to re-read the books that it would be worth having our own copies and ordered a set from Amazon.

Once she finished that she was able to read Darth Paper Strikes Back in only a few days. She has since finished The Secret of the Fortune Wookiee (Origami Yoda) and Surprise Attack of Jabba the Puppett: An Origami Yoda Book t. She is eagerly awaiting the March release of the fifth book in the series, Princess Labelmaker to the Rescue!: An Origami Yoda Book.

In addition to reading the books, she has made her own Origami Ewok from the directions in Surprise Attack of Jabba the Puppet. She has also requested the companion art and craft book, Art2-D2's Guide to Folding and Doodling: An Origami Yoda Activity Book for Christmas.

While I have not read the books, she loves the style of the book with doodles and drawings adding to the text. She says that while it has a story to be read front to back, there are little episodes that she can go back and re-read out of order.

If you want your own copies of the Origami Yoda series, Amazon currently has The Origami Yoda Files: Boxed Set for $36.65. Plus through December 1 they are offering an additional 30% off any book (the box set counts) with the code BOOKDEAL at checkout. Sicne we already have all 4 books, I was able to use the code to pre-order Princess Labelmaker.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...